These muffins are great for kids lunch boxes as the oatmeal acts as a slow energy release, full of protein and fibre. To make these gluten free, substitute the wholemeal flour for more oatmeal ground into a flour like consistency. The chia seeds add further protein, fibre and excellent Omega 3 Fatty acids, important for brain development and a healthy nervous system. The Cacao nibs add sweetness for kids without the added sugar of chocolate bits. Ground cinnamon is great for controlling blood sugar levels.
The coconut sugar is still ‘sugar’ just as table sugar or brown sugar. However at least coconut sugar contains some nutrients as well in the form of Iron, Zinc, Calcium and Potassium and a few antioxidants that may provide health benefits. It also contains a soluble plant fibre called inulin which slows glucose absorption and hence has a lower GI than table sugar. At the end of the day, it’s still sugar and too much added sugar has the same effect on insulin, weight gain and the risk of disease. However I always choose an ingredient that adds the most nutritional value with every bite so it may be worth the substitute. Adding more fruit for natural sweetness and removing the sugar completely is another option.
- 1 cup (260g) wholemeal self-raising flour
- 1/4 cup (100g) Coconut sugar (or 1/4 cup of added grated fruit – apple or pear)
- 1 cup (100g) rolled oats
- 1 cup blended rolled oats (down to fine flour-like consistency)
- 3/4 cup (185g) plain unflavoured yoghurt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup (60ml) canola oil (can substitute with butter)
- 1-2 bananas, mashed (250g)
- 1/4 cup Cacao Nibs optional
- 3 teaspoon Chia Seeds optional
Makes 12 large muffins or 24 small muffins
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Grease a 12 cup muffin pan with butter
- Whisk eggs, yoghurt and oil together. Add Mashed banana, stir to combine.
- Mix flour, cinnamon, chia, cacao nibs, soda, oats and brown sugar.
- Add dry mixture to wet mixture, stir to combine.
- Spoon mixture into muffin pan. Bake for 20 minutes / until golden and cooked through.
- Cool for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely
- Refrigerate muffins or freeze any surplus.