These are a great breakfast choice on the go. They contain approx. 6 g carbs for 6 muffins but more importantly are packed full of nutrients. Add as many variations of chopped vegetables as you like – for instance corn would be fantastic.
- 5 egg whites
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup cows milk
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped spring or green onion
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped kale
- 1/4 cup fresh spinach chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped roasted red capsicum
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese (can swap for goats cheese)
-Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 8 muffin tin cups with cooking spray. Make sure you spray the cups well. Set aside.
-In a medium bowl, whisk together egg whites and eggs. Whisk in skim milk and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Stir in the green onion, kale, and roasted red peppers.
-Pour egg mixture evenly into the muffin cups. Distribute cheese equally between each muffin cup.
-Bake egg muffins for 20 minutes, or until the muffins are firm in the center. Remove from oven and gently go round each egg with a butter knife. Serve warm.
– store the egg muffins in the fridge for 3-4 days and reheat them in the microwave or oven.
NB these also freeze well!